Sisters from Another Mister

book reviews

“Obsession” by S M Phillips

index

I received an ARC of this book in exchange for an honest review.

First of all I have to state that I am very disappointed in authors that write books that take place in America but use jargon and slang in verbiage from outside of the US. For instance, Americans do not say “twat”, we do not say “arse” these are very disruptive to the overall feel the book. If the book had taken place in England it would make sense to use that type of verbiage. As it is; in America, those are not words that we use so it was hard for me to get a good feel for the story itself.

Secondly, there was a lot of grammatical errors in the story. About 75% of the errors was the jargon I’ve previously stated but the other 25 percent were just old fashioned grammatical and typo errors. Really well edited books don’t have these type of errors and it’s a little bit distracting.

Thirdly, this book had a LOT of cursing.  I am not opposed to cursing in general and sometimes it is necessary to have it in the storyline.  This book had too much.  It wasn’t necessary and didn’t help the story in any way.

Overall, this story lacked a connection for me. I did not feel connected to the hero or the heroine. There was a lot left unspoken, and maybe the author was trying to build up to a big reveal, but it left me feeling lost. The story itself was not as riveting as I wanted it to be, either.  I did complete the story and I appreciated where the author was trying to go but it just didn’t quite get there for me and a cliffhanger at the end just really bothers me. I know that this is the first book in a series but I like stories that end at some point and leaving the ending on a cliffhanger just really didn’t do it for me.

All of that being said I’m going to give this “1 Thumbs DOWN” I thought very hard about this because it’s not an overall bad story. It had a few moments where I really wanted to like the story there was a little too much of an imbalance that kept me from really enjoying the story. There were story-lines that weren’t fully developed, there was a back story that was never explained and a lot of that kept me from really enjoying the story. That being said, this might be somebody else’s cup of tea. Would I read more by the author? I would give her another try but I would not finish this series.

About Melissa

I am an avid book reader and have instilled that love of books in my two sons. My sisters and I have shared books for years and our love for reading. I started reading quite young and have been immersed in literature ever since. My favorite genres are New Adult, Young Adult, Mystery and comedy. My favorite book is a tie between "Easy" by Tammara Webber and "Maybe Someday" by Colleen Hoover. I love the works by Tiffany King, Tammara Webber, Erica Stevens, Lisa Renee Jones, Chelsea M. Cameron, and many more. I am very much a book snob though. If a book doesn't draw me in within the first few chapters, I am done with it.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

Information

This entry was posted on June 8, 2015 by in New Adult.
%d bloggers like this: